SEO standards that you need to implement in your company
AKS SEO standards include common requirements to documents which will be placed online to ensure their good quality for visitors and search engines. These standards were originally designed for these who edit HTML code directly, so you don’t need to worry about most of these things if you are using WordPress, but some of them are still important.
- Title, description, keywords. There should be TITLE, Description and Keywords tags filled with relevant text with targeted keywords. Check ideas for title below in Appendix 1
- H1 title. There must be a title on the page, marked with <H1></H1> tags.
- Styles. Use bold and italic styles where appropriate. Use <h2> tags to highlight names of lower-level paragraphs.
- Don’t change size and font. Don’t change default font name and font style, this is allowed only by using H1, H2 tags
- Lowercase. Names of file should be in lowercase
- Delimiters. File names should contain “-” or “_” as delimiter
- Keywords. File name should contain keywords, which are targeted keywords for this article
- Good example: some-keyword-using-in-program.htm; Bad example: some-in-Program.htm (no keyword, not lowercase)
- Anchored links. All links in the document should be “anchored”, e.g. link should come from some keywords;
- Keywords in link. Text for anchored link should be some meaningful keyword;
- Good example: “Learn how to compare Word files“; Bad example: “How to compare Word files. Read more…” (link is set to bad keyword)
- File name. There are same requirements for image file name, e.g. lowercase, delimiters, keywords;
- Alt text. There must be “ALT” filed filled for image with some short keyword-rich text;
- Image size. There are limitations to image size, the width must be less than 500 pixels. If necessary image can be divided into thumbnail and full size image, which is opened when user click on thumbnail.
- Good example: (meaningful file name, alt text filled)
Appendix 1 – what a good title might be:
- General requirements to title: it should be informative, problem-oriented; it should be unique, it should contain target keywords;
- Traps\problems and how to escape them. Template
- Things to do or things to avoid. Template
- Top X tips (template), X golden rules for… (template), Checklist (template), Principles of X (template), The pros and cons (template)